Category: Immigration Delay Litigation

What Happens After You File a Lawsuit Against USCIS

What happens after you file a law suit against the Immigration Service for delaying your case? Hi, I’m Jim Hacking, immigration lawyer practicing law throughout the United States out of our office here in St. Louis, Missouri.

We get this question a lot. A lot of people are sometimes on the fence about whether or not to sue USCIS, and the FBI, and other agencies regarding delays in their immigration cases, and we wanted to shoot this video to explain to you what happens, what the process is like.

In our office, we have filed probably 60 or 70 of these cases at the present time, and we have a pretty good system for getting them out. What we do is we craft the complaint to set out the facts of your case to explain why your immigration case has been taking so long, and, most importantly, all the efforts that you’ve made to try to get the case decided without filing a law suit. We list those kinds of things that people do, like file info pass appointments, calling their Congress person or their Senator, calling the USCIS ombudsman, all the different things that you can do to try to make your case go faster. Usually those don’t work and they’re left with having to decide whether or not to file a law suit.

We draft the complaint, because you want the court to know that you’ve made good efforts to try to get your case decided. Some people wonder, “How long is a wait too long? When should I start thinking about filing a law suit,” and we generally recommend that you don’t file a Mandamas Action or a delay action under the Administrative Procedures Act until about a year has gone by. It usually takes us a couple days to put the law suit together, and then we file it in federal court.

The filing fee in federal court right now is $400. That’s always subject to change, but it’s $400 to get the law suit on file, and after we file the law suit, we file it electronically, and the good thing about federal law is that we can generally file it anywhere around the country, but lately we’ve been filing them in Washington, DC. The DC court has more experience in handling these cases. The US Attorneys up there are more easy to deal with, easier to deal with, and we generally have a good experience so far with the DC District Court.

After the law suit is on file, the court issues what are called summons, and a summons is a notice to a defendant that they’ve been sued. Typically in our cases, we sue the US Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services, the heads of those agencies as well as the head of the FBI, and the FBI itself for delays in processing mostly citizenship cases, but, also, green card and VISA type cases.

The defendants might change, depending on what kind of case we have, but the process after that is pretty much the same. After the court issues summons and have them signed by the clerk of court, we then attach that to the summons and a copy of the law suit, and we send it by certified mail to the defendants. It usually takes them about ten days or two weeks to get the law suits, and then, at that point, the defendants have 60 days to file their response. In most instances, the government does not respond much until towards the end of those 60 days.

If you serve them let’s say on March 1st, then you’re generally going to hear something from them about the end of April, and usually what they do is they tell you what their plan is, but that is what gets the ball rolling, because, at that point, there’s now an Assistant US Attorney or Department of Justice attorney who is going to have to defend that law suit, and typically what they do is they contact their people at USCIS and Homeland Security, and they figure out what’s going on with the case. They figure out if they want to fight or if they want to just proceed with the case. It usually involves them scheduling someone for an interview, and then the case is really underway.

That’s the process from start to finish, from the time that you hire us and we draft the complaint and we file the law suit, and then typically there’s then another interview or an original interview, and then the case is handled the same.

The law suits are really effective to getting movement on your cases. If you have a case that’s been delayed, if you want to know about how the process works and are thinking about getting started with suing Immigration Service yourself in federal court, make sure to give us a call at 314-961-8200. You can email us at

We hope you like this video. If you did, make sure that you leave us a comment or review, and then make sure that you subscribe to our YouTube channel or join our Facebook group, so that we can keep you posted as to any new videos that we submit.

Thanks a lot. Have a great day.

Does Mandamus Only Work in Delayed Citizenship Cases?

Do mandamus lost its only work and citizenship cases?

Hi, I’m Jim Hacking, immigration lawyer practicing law throughout the United States out of our office here in St. Louis Missouri. We’ve had a lot of success in suing the federal government, USCIS, and the Department of Homeland Security when our clients’ naturalization cases have taken too long.

The law says that if you’ve had your naturalization interview and 120 days have gone by, that you can go into federal court and ask a federal judge who doesn’t work for the immigration service to order the immigration service to decide your case, or the judge can decide on his or her own initiative whether or not you get to become a citizen.

The immigration service doesn’t like it when you sue them and they don’t like the idea that a federal judge will take their job from them. When you file a lawsuit, typically what happens in most cases is, they decide to decide the case. The case gets moving and cases that have been waiting for two, three, or four years can finally get resolved. That law, regarding the 120 days, is pretty black letter and the immigration service doesn’t have a lot of wiggle room. One of the tricks they try is they don’t schedule the interview right away.

Sometimes we’re filing lawsuits for naturalization applicants who have never had their interview because that doesn’t start that 120 day clock and that’s why they do it. We have had success in getting those cases moving. They’re not as highly successful as the ones where there’s been an actual interview, but we’ve probably filed suit on behalf of about 70 people who’ve been waiting for citizenship and the lawsuits generally work. They don’t work in every case, but they work in most cases. We wondered whether or not we’d be able to file these kinds of lawsuits and other cases in the immigration context, cases in which the naturalization was not an issue, but rather someone could get a green card.

One day a young man came to see me and he had filed his own mandamus against the immigration service because his green card case had been pending too long. They hadn’t scheduled him for an interview and his case had been pending for two years. He and his wife were getting frustrated that every time they went down to the immigration office that they couldn’t get any answers. He figured out how to draft a lawsuit and filed it on his own in federal court. We don’t recommend this.

Filing a mandamus action is actually pretty tricky, and the government was starting to play games with him, trying to change venue and filing a motion to dismiss and all these things. We wanted to see what would happen and we took this case. It turns out that the lawsuit worked almost the exact same way in the green card context as it did in the citizenship context. Since that time, we’ve probably filed 10 green card delay lawsuits and we’ve had a lot of good success with that.

Then one day a lady came to see me and she was wondering about her husband’s visa case. He was from Pakistan and his case had been pending for two years. We told her that she should sue them. She was sort of skittish and worried about suing them, so she didn’t do it. A year later she came back and now she’d been waiting three years. We told her, “You should sue the state department”. We had done some research and figured out that you could, in fact, sue the state department in federal court in the United States for a delay at an embassy overseas.

She was still skittish and still scared, so she decided not to do it. The fourth year she came back and she said, “Okay Jim, let’s go ahead and sue”. We filed the lawsuit and within 90 days after filing the lawsuit, her husband was in the United States with an approved visa. This was remarkable and it only happened because we filed the lawsuit. Now we know, and we have filed subsequently more lawsuits against the state department for delays in the issuance of a visa.

Last month, we filed a lawsuit over a four year delay on an asylum case. We’re very interested to see how this case works. It’s a lawsuit against a Chicago asylum office where a man has been waiting for four years for his asylum case to be approved. These are the kinds of things that you can do with a mandamus lawsuit. Not every immigration lawyer is familiar with the rules of federal court and filing lawsuits. I had been a litigator for 10 years before I started practicing immigration law, so I feel very comfortable in federal court, in the procedures, and the filing requirements, all those things.

We’re going to file a new lawsuit today over in Ohio. We’re excited about that, for a young man who’s been waiting for citizenship for two and a half years. These lawsuits work. They don’t work every time, but they work in a lot of the situations.

If you’ve been experiencing some kind of immigration delay, make sure to give us a call at 314-961-8200. You can also e-mail us at We hope you like this video, that you found it instructive.

If you have any questions about it, make sure to reach out to us. Make sure also, please to like this video down below. If you want to subscribe to our Youtube and Facebook channels, that would be great. You’ll get updates whenever we upload a new video.

VIDEO: How Can a Lawsuit Help My Delayed Immigration Case

How can a lawsuit help make my immigration case go faster? Hi, I’m the immigration attorney, Jim Hacking practicing along here in Saint Louis, Missouri. We have a lot of people who come to our office complaining about delays of the immigration service. A lot of delays are natural and part of the process. Most cases do take a fair amount of time to process whether they’d be naturalization cases or green card cases or overseas visa cases.

A lot of times, you just have to wait and to comply with the immigration service’s request. A lot of times the delays are called by request for evidence which are times where the immigration’s service asked for additional documentation and supported the case. We’ve seen more and more of these requests for evidence or RFE’s be issued. We think that there are some people at the immigration service who feel that they have to RFE cases multiple times in order to make sure that every “T” is crossed and every “I” is dotted. A lot of these RFE’s are ridiculous, but we do everything we can to comply with them.

The delays I’m talking about though for the purposes of this video are delays where cases are way outside the processing times. The law requires that the immigration service and of the state department adjudicate this immigrant cases in a reasonable amount of time. Sometimes, we’ve seen delays with three, four, five years. We’ve seen cases languish in delay and the reason for that, I think a lot of times is the fact that the immigration service or the state department sometimes don’t know what they want to do with the case.

They don’t particularly like the fact for the case, they’d like to deny the case but they don’t feel they have enough to do an outright denial. What they do is they just put the case up on the shelf and they hope that the person will just continue waiting. We’re getting ready to file suit against the state department now for a spouse visa case that’s been sitting in Islamabad, Pakistan for the last four years.

Like I said, the law requires that any administrative agency including the immigration service or state department who adjudicate cases in a reasonable amount of time and that will be our position in that lawsuit that waiting four years for your spouse to come to the United States is non-reasonable. US citizens and green card holders have the right to do process and everybody has the right to have their immigration case decided. It’s not the guarantee that the case will be approved, it’s rather that the agencies are not to be allowed to just sit around and not decide cases.

They can choose which way to act but they can’t choose to refuse the act and that’s what the purpose of the lawsuit is. A lot of people are trying different things to try to move their case along. Some people file complains with their senator or congress person. Some people making info pass appointments, some people waste their time calling the 1-800 number. In our experience, these measures don’t work that they’re just attempt by the agencies to act as if they’re listening to you. We’ve never really had much success and the people who come to see us haven’t had much success with info pass or with calls or even with congressional involvement.

A lot of times, what the immigration service will do or the state department will do is they’ll say, “Thank you for notifying us of the problem. We’ll look into it.” Then they wait about a month and they write back, “We looked into it. The case is still under administrative review.” There’s nothing to see here, please move along and just expect the senator or the congress person or the applicant to just continue waiting.

The only thing that works in our experience is to file suit. We use to threaten to file suit before they filed suit but we found that the threats though too don’t really amount too much. We have the State Department in this particular case a little bit more time to see if they can decide the case but I anticipate we will be filing suit like we have all the other times. We’ve had a great success right now in these naturalization delays and to some extent, on green card delays.

The courts are in place for us to assert our rights, the immigration service does not particularly like to defend themselves in front of a federal judge who is unelected and who has no allegiance in the immigration service and it’s our experience that the federal courts give an open year to leaving into and waiting a long time and that a lot of times, just the fact that filing suit will note your case along and will get the attention of the higher ups so that the case gets decided.

If you’ve been waiting to have one of your immigration cases decided, we feel sorry for you and we’d really like to talk to you about filing suit about moving forward in litigating your rights to protect yourself and to make sure that the delay does not continue on and on and on. If you are experiencing delays of the immigration service, if you’ve done everything that you can, if you filed for info pass, if you’ve called the 1-800 number, if you’ve done everything that you can, I want you to pick up that phone and call us, 314-961-8200 or you can email me at Thanks.