Addresses for Students Applying for Optional Practical Training

Mailing addresses can cause huge issues for students trying to work in the United States. Many students applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT) must figure out where they are going to get their work authorization card (EAD) mailed. The problem is, with the Postal Service, if a student’s name is not on the mailbox, they will not deliver the EAD to that address, despite the fact it is the location the student listed. Therefore, students should make sure they have their documents sent to an address with their name on it. This may involve requesting a formal change of address with the Post Office.

Students should also make sure that they track their case status so they know when the card is coming. They can do this online using their Receipt Notice. When a card is issued, it is usually within 30 days of a status update that says their work authorization was approved. If someone is applying for OPT, it is important they are checking their status.

It is important to consult a well-versed immigration attorney about requirements regarding mailing addresses. The team at Hacking Immigration Law, LLC can help you make sure you are taking all the necessary steps to have the process go as smoothly as possible. To discuss your case, call today.