Is your case stuck in administrative process for years? We can help you by completing this form

Easy Way to Make USCIS Mad

Spread the love

What is one way to really make USCIS mad?

Hi, I'm Jim Hacking, immigration lawyer practicing law throughout the United States, out our office here in St. Louis, Missouri.

I've had a few consults the last few days with people who have obtained F-1 Student Visas to the United States, come to the United States, gone through Customs and never gone to school. This is a very, very bad idea. In order to get an F-1 visa, you have to go through a lot of hoops. You have to find a US institution of higher learning, a college or university, who wants to accept you. You have to send them all your transcripts. You have to get accepted. They have to issue you what's called an I-20, which is the paperwork that you use to actually go to the embassy and get the visa. You have to go to the embassy, get the visa, and most importantly, you have to promise them that you can financially support yourself. You have to document that you have enough income or enough money in the bank to support yourself while you're studying.

Once you get all that taken care of, then you're able to come to the United States, go through Customs and go to school. Now, sometimes people don't do this. We don't see this as much as we used to, but I've seen it twice this week. So I thought I'd shoot this video about it. This is a really bad idea. If you're not able to pay for school, don't come to the United States. It's just going to cause you all kinds of trouble. Given the new guidelines that USCIS has about following the laws and being in status and not playing tricks on USCIS, I really think it's a bad idea. If you can't afford to come, don't come. Don't use it as an entry into the United States. Don't use it as an entry into the United States so that you can marry a US citizen.

We're seeing more and more charges of misrepresentation when people get an F-1 and then come and quickly get married and drop out of school. I had a caller on the Immigration Answers live show last week, and she was sort of on the fence. She had gone to school for three and a half years. She had gotten married. She had all of her receipt notices to adjust status. That's a very different situation. She's been going to school. It's obvious that she didn't have any fraudulent intentions or any misrepresentations. She just wanted to save some money and had married a US citizen. Given the fact that she had been going to school for a full three and a half years before dropping out, that's fundamentally different than just entering the United States and never going to school.

Because when you don't go to school, the school is going to terminate your student's record and you're going to be obtaining the attention of HSI, Homeland Security Investigations, ICE, and you're probably going to be put in removal. So this is a really bad idea and I suggest you don't do it.

If you have questions, give us a call at 314-961-8200. You can email us at [email protected]. Be sure to join us on our Facebook group, which is called Immigrant Home. Make sure that you join us every Tuesday and Thursday in our Facebook group and on YouTube, so that we can answer your questions. We go live for an hour and answer as many questions on camera as I can. For free. So we'd love to have you join us.

Thanks a lot and have a great day.

You May Also Like

April 2024 USCIS Fees Increase: What You Need To Know Spread the love The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced a significant increase in fees for various immigration applications and services. This move has sparked concerns... VIEW POST
ICE Detainee Locator: A Guide To Finding Someone In Custody Spread the love Experiencing the detention of a friend or family member by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) can be a distressing and confusing time. The uncertainty of their... VIEW POST
EB3 Visa Process: For Professionals, Skilled, and Unskilled Workers Spread the love The EB3 visa category is an employment-based immigrant visa. It is a pathway for professionals, skilled workers, and unskilled workers who want to obtain permanent residency... VIEW POST

Download Free Guide 
2023 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.

Download Free Guide 2022 Immigrant’s Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know
to become a U.S. citizen.

Answers Show
Live every week.