Click here to see how our firm is preparing for COVID-19

USCIS Offers Relief to Immigrants Adversely Affected By Floods and Tornadoes

Spread the love

The U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) has announced emergency immigration relief for non-citizens who experienced hardship as a result of recent flooding in the Midwest and severe storms in the South.  This relief includes:

  • Change or extension of status for an individual currently in the United States on a temporary, non-immigrant visa.  Such a request can be approved even if it was filed after the authorized period of admission has expired.
  • Re-entry of foreign nationals who had been previously granted parole by USCIS.
  • Expedited processing of requests for advance parole (permission to leave the U.S.)
  • Faster processing for F1 international students looking for off-campus work opportunities due to economic hardship.
  • Expedited adjudication of work authorization applications, where appropriate.
  • Consideration of fee waivers due to an inability to pay.
  • Assistance for those who received a Request for Evidence or a Notice of Intent to Deny but were unable to appear for an interview, submit evidence or respond in a timely manner.
  • Replacement of lost or damaged immigration or travel documents issued by USCIS, such as a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) or work authorization.
  • Rescheduling of a biometrics/fingerprinting appointment.


Anyone seeking relief under these temporary protective provisions needs to explain to USCIS how the weather or flooding affected their ability to file timely applications or responses to requests for evidence.  If you have questions about this, feel free to give us a call at (314) 961-8200.

You May Also Like

Why Do Mandamus Lawsuits Over Immigration Delays Work? Spread the love When you file an immigration petition, you expect a decision within a certain time. But sometimes, the government takes much longer than expected to make a... VIEW POST
What Can the USCIS Ombudsman Do To Speed Up Your Immigration Case? Spread the loveWaiting for your immigration case resolution can feel like a never-ending nightmare. You're not sure what's taking so long, and every day feels like an eternity. You... VIEW POST
USCIS Processing Times: A Definitive Guide Spread the loveWaiting for your green card, visa, citizenship, and other immigration processes can be stressful. With all the backlogs, government interruptions, and changing policies, you should prepare for... VIEW POST

Download Free Guide 
2022 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.

Download Free Guide 2022 Immigrant’s Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know
to become a U.S. citizen.

Answers Show
Live every week.