Can I Take the Naturalization Exam in Another Language?

Can I Take the Naturalization Exam in Another Language?

Do you need to take the U.S. naturalization exam but are worried about reading and speaking in English? Would you like to take the exam in another language?

As St. Louis immigration lawyer Jim Hacking explains, you usually have to take the exam in English. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, like if you’ve been a lawful permanent resident for an extended period of time or are over the age of 55. In these instances, you may be granted permission to take the exam with a translator.

In other instances, you may not need to take the exam at all. There are certain circumstances in which you can get a medical exemption waiver. In order to be granted a waiver, you need to present substantial evidence that there is a fundamental medical problem that affects your brain or body, and that this ailment prevents you from learning English or civics. This is not an easy waiver to receive, and you’ll need to provide evidence that you’ve been in treatment.

If you believe you have a legitimate reason why you cannot complete the exam in English—or at all—you’ll need the assistance of a St. Louis naturalization attorney in order to build the best case possible. Contact our office at 314.961.8200 to learn how we can help you.