Is your case stuck in administrative process for years? We can help you by completing this form

Immigration Lawyer
Washington DC

Immigration Lawyer of Washington DC

Spread the love

woman holding the shoulder of man

Whether you are looking to join your spouse in the United States or are a current citizen or permanent resident looking to bring your spouse here to live with you, you must go through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to acquire a visa. In the interest of preventing people from marrying solely for the purposes of lawful immigration, USCIS imposes various requirements and restrictions on getting this kind of immigrant visa.

Seeking help from a seasoned Washington DC marriage visa lawyer could make a huge difference in your prospects of success with this application. A knowledgeable family immigration attorney with experience helping couples could work diligently on your behalf to give you the best chances possible of a positive resolution.


Preliminary Qualifications for Fiancé(e) and Spouse Visas

Different requirements apply under current USCIS policy to marriage visa and fiancé(e) visa applicants. A person cannot receive a marriage visa unless they can demonstrate they are legally married to a current citizen or lawful resident of the United States in good faith and that neither they nor their spouse is married to anyone else.

Conversely, fiancé(e) visas are available only to foreign nationals who intend in good faith to lawfully marry a U.S. citizen they have met at least once in person within the past two years. In either situation, the sponsoring party in the United States must be able to provide documentation affirming their U.S. citizenship or lawful residence.

Finally, both spouses must be prepared to submit various forms of documentation affirming the validity of their marriage. The checklist includes:

  • civil marriage certificate;
  • divorce or death decrees for previous spouses if applicable;
  • documentation regarding legal name changes; and
  • passport-style photos of each individual spouse.

A Washington DC attorney could provide assistance collecting and submitting this information for a marriage-based green card application.

Basic Steps in the Marriage Visa Application Process

The marriage visa application process begins when the sponsoring party submits the aforementioned documentation to USCIS along with a completed Form I-130 for their spouse or a Form I-129F for their fiancé(e). USCIS will provide additional instructions after processing a submitted application, generally including dates and times for interviews and/or biometrics appointments.

It is worth noting that marriage visa recipients who have been married to their spouse for less than two years upon submitting their initial application can only be approved for conditional permanent resident status at first. Once their conditional status expires, they must file Form I-751 with their spouse to achieve full permanent residency based on their continued marriage. A lawyer in Washington, DC could be an irreplaceable source of guidance and support during every stage of the marriage visa process.

man writing on paper

Talk to a Washington DC Marriage Visa Attorney Today

Pursuing a visa based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful resident is generally much easier than applying based on other familial relationships or even an employment offer. However, that does not mean getting this kind of visa is a simple process, especially if you and your spouse have not been married for very long.

Representation from a Washington, DC marriage visa lawyer could substantially simplify this process and give you better odds of getting the outcome you both desire. Call today for a consultation.


Get in touch with
a HIL immigration attorney in
Washington DC

Navigating the maze of U.S. immigration law can be tricky for anybody, especially if English is your second language or you have unique circumstances motivating you to move here. Fortunately, if you are unsure about any areas of immigration or the naturalization process, help through an immigration lawyer (Washington DC) is available at the Hacking Immigration Law LLC.

Retaining one of our dedicated Washington DC immigration lawyers could help you both with USCIS and other U.S. immigration authorities. To find out how immigration attorneys could help you with your specific case, call us today to schedule a consultation.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy 
Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What They Say About Us

Our Lawyers Have Received Over 500 Google Reviews

Sriram Devanathan

im is a great attorney who always has his human side “ON”. The clients come first to him. When approached for time sensitive issues, he was readily available and was prompt. I have had to reach out to him for myself & have recommended him to others. He always welcomed everyone and gave patient hearing. And he would not mind recommending other attorneys’ if he feels that they would better serve that particular case. Even if it means one less client for him. That sums up who Jim is. Thank you Jim!

Justin Charboneau

Jim and his team are extremely knowledgeable individuals. It is great to have someone like this on your side. I have and will continue to recommend Hacking Law Practice, LLC to anyone who needs legal advice on immigration issues.

Bouchra Aanouz

This firm was amazing helping me with my husband’s case. Jim and his team were very responsive to all my questions and concerns. i wish I had consulted them earlier as my husband’s case was stuck in Administrative Processing for over a year and a half. Two months after I gave my case to Jim, my husband was granted his visa. Would definitely recommend them and already have recommended them to my friends.

As seen in

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers

The attorneys at the Hacking Immigration Law are dedicated to helping the foreign-born people of St. Louis to live and work in the United States. This dedication is reflected in the kind and grateful words of the clients they have helped. Read what others have to say about the hard work that the Hacking Immigration Law has done to help those in St. Louis.

Does paying for premium processing on an H1B case mean I will find out sooner if our case was selected in the lottery?

Premium processing is an add-on service that USCIS offers for a variety of immigration cases, primarily in the employment-based visa categories.Premium processing costs an additional $1225 in USCIS filing fees.

What is the H-1B visa lottery and how does it work?

In 2014, USCIS received more than 172,000 H-1B visa applications on the April 1st deadline, exceeding Congress’s cap by 87,000 applications.

Can an Unmarried Son or Daughter of a Lawful Permanent Resident Keep Their F2B Visa Classification After Their Sponsoring Parent Naturalizes?

The immigration laws treat the adult, unmarried children of citizens differently than the adult, unmarried children of lawful permanent residents.

What is the "newspaper of general circulation" for PERM job postings?

The Department of Labor requires employers to advertise positions that they intend to submit a PERM application on to publish the job position in the local newspaper of general circulation.

Can I Apply for Citizenship if I Lost My Green Card or It Expired?

In the past, USCIS and some immigration attorneys believed that you could not become a naturalized citizen if you did not have a valid green card (LPR) card to bring with you to your naturalization interview.

Is there such a thing as expedited removal of an immigrant and, if so, what is it?

Most people believe that removal orders or “deportation” orders only happen when you go to the immigration court and see an immigration judge. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Does testing positive for HIV make someone inadmissible to the United States?

On January 4, 2010, the United States officially removed Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection from the list of “communicable diseases of public health significance” that make an individual ineligible for admission to the United States.

Are there any special visas for translators who assisted US forces in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Under United States immigration law, there are two Special Immigrant Visas available for Iraqi citizens or nationals who have worked for the United States.