Is your case stuck in administrative process? We can help you by completing this form.

Citizen Attending Step-Kid Visa Interview

Spread the love

Does the US citizen petitioner have to go overseas to attend the embassy interview?

Hi, I'm Jim Hacking, immigration lawyer, practicing law throughout the United States out of our office here in St. Louis, Missouri. Today's video comes from a question I received from Mr. T, and I was very excited to see that I got an email from Mr. T. When I was growing up, I had a Mr. T lunchbox. For those of you who don't know, Mr. T is a African-American bodybuilder, actor, who had a Mohawk, and when I was a kid, I thought that was the coolest thing ever. So I had a Mr. T lunchbox, I watched every episode of the A-Team, where he played Vietnam vet, B.A. Baracus. Then, of course, he was famously given the role of Clubber Lang in Rocky III, and his famous line was always, "I pity the fool."

But unfortunately that was not this Mr. T. I got an email from a different Mr. T, and let me read it to you and then we get to the question. "Hi, my name is Anthony, and I'm a subscriber to your YouTube channel. I am a permanent resident and my wife is a US citizen. My wife wants to file an I-130, which is a Petition for Alien Relative, for my two daughters, who are less than 10 years old, in Nigeria. This is my question. Will she be required at any point in time of the entire process to travel down to Nigeria, to go with the kids to the US embassy in Nigeria when the time comes for interview of the kids at the embassy? Or, can just any adult take the kids to the embassy for interview without either me or my US citizen wife present physically with the kids at the embassy in Nigeria? Thanks. Mr. T."

All right, Mr. T, we've actually come across this situation before a few times, and it does often involve a situation just like yours, where there's a US citizen who marries a foreign national, and the foreign national is in the United States, and the time comes for the interview at the embassy for the kids. In one situation, I remember, famously, that my US citizen client had to go to Thailand to attend the interview because the beneficiary, his wife, who was here trying to get her green card, she'd been denied and we were worried that she would have trouble getting back into the United States, even with advanced parole. So my client, who is a huge American white dude, he had to go to Thailand and meet with the girls who he'd seen and talked to many times on Skype and video conferencing, he had to go to the interview.

It's going to work a whole lot better, Mr. T, if your spouse, and or you, go to the interview. Having a random stranger bring the children would be a bad idea. If you can avoid that, I would. Now, generally, I don't usually like it when the US citizen goes overseas, and on marriage cases, we generally recommend against it, if it can be avoided. But on a situation like this, where you have kids under the age of 10, they're not going to be able to advocate for themselves. They're not going to be able to pull out documents and give the officer what they want. I suspect that your case is going to go much more smoothly if the US citizen and their father, that would be Mr. T, if the two of you go overseas and attend that interview. That's my best advice on that.

If you have questions about an overseas child case, give us a call at (314) 961-8200. You can email us at [email protected]. Be sure to join us in our Facebook group, which is called Immigrant Home. And if you like this video, we ask that you please share it out on social and that you subscribe to our YouTube channel so that you get updates whenever we make videos just like this one. Thanks a lot. Have a great day.

You May Also Like

How Do You Sponsor An Immigrant: A Step-By-Step Guide Spread the love Image Source: USCIS Immigration sponsorship is a vital and often complex process that plays a pivotal role in foreign nationals aiming to live or work in... VIEW POST
Everything You Need to Know About H1B Premium Processing Fee Spread the love The H1B visa is a nonimmigrant visa allowing American employers to hire foreign workers in special positions for a certain period. Specialty occupations usually need a... VIEW POST
Form I-90 Filing Fee Breakdown: Renewing or Replacing Your Green Card Spread the love If you’re a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States, you’re given a green card, also known as a permanent resident card. This legal document... VIEW POST

Download Free Guide 
2024 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.

Download Free Guide 2022 Immigrant’s Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know
to become a U.S. citizen.

Answers Show
Live every week.