Is your case stuck in administrative process? We can help you by completing this form.

If I sponsor my brother or sister for an immigrant visa, can they bring their spouse and/or their children?

Callers to our office and visitors to our website always have questions regarding whether their sibling will be able to bring a spouse and/or children with them when they come to the U.S. on the sibling of a US citizen visa application.

We understand why there are so many questions - it is because it really is confusing !!

The short answer is YES.  Your sibling does not have to be single to come to the U.S. through your petition.

When you file an I-130 for your brother or your sister, they can bring their spouse and minor children with them.  Minor children are children under the age of 21.

USCIS and the State Department refer to the spouse and minor children as "derivatives."  Separate petitions are not required.

A related question is - if I am a US citizen and I sponsor my brother or sister and their spouse and minor children, what happens if the children reach the age of 21 before a visa becomes available.

In typical lawyer-like language - it depends !  USCIS uses a complicated formula to figure out if the provisions of the Child Status Protection Act apply to allow the child to continue to be considered a minor under the original petition.  One thing to keep in mind is that if the minor child ages out, but they are protected by the CSPA - that protection disappears if the child marries.

The long delays in sibling-based immigration visas cause lots of real world headaches.  If you have questions or concerns about a particular application or simply want more information about how you might sponsor a brother or sister and their family to come to the U.S. on a permanent basis, please give us a call at (314) 961-8200.

You May Also Like

How Do You Sponsor An Immigrant: A Step-By-Step Guide Spread the love Image Source: USCIS Immigration sponsorship is a vital and often complex process that plays a pivotal role in foreign nationals aiming to live or work in... VIEW POST
Everything You Need to Know About H1B Premium Processing Fee Spread the love The H1B visa is a nonimmigrant visa allowing American employers to hire foreign workers in special positions for a certain period. Specialty occupations usually need a... VIEW POST
Form I-90 Filing Fee Breakdown: Renewing or Replacing Your Green Card Spread the love If you’re a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States, you’re given a green card, also known as a permanent resident card. This legal document... VIEW POST

Download Free Guide 
2024 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.

Download Free Guide 2022 Immigrant’s Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know
to become a U.S. citizen.

Answers Show
Live every week.