Is your case stuck in administrative process for years? We can help you by completing this form

What is "unlawful presence" and how does that lead to a 3 or 10 year bar?

In 1996, Congress passed a law and President Bill Clinton signed it which imposed harsh penalties on immigrants who had accrued unlawful presence. The law went into effect in April of 1997. Unlawful presence is any stay in the U.S. without explicit authorization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service ("USCIS").

If the alien accrues 180 days, but less than 365 days, of unlawful presence and leaves the U.S. before removal proceedings begin against them, they would have a 3-year bar, prohibiting them from returning for three years. A formal grant of voluntary departure in order to constitute leaving before formal deportation begins.

An alien who leaves the U.S. after receiving a notice to appear (the mechanism by which deportation starts), is not subject to the 3-year bar according to the statutory language. However, the alien must leave before he or she has accrued more than one year of unlawful presence, thereby triggering the 10-year bar.

The 10-year bar applies to any alien who accrues more than one year of unlawful presence and leaves the U.S. Such an alien would be barred from returning to the U.S. for ten years from the date of departure.

Unlawful presence must accrue during a single stay. The length of the alien's unlawful presence is not calculated by including multiple unlawful stays in the U.S.

It is important to remember that the bar is triggered by departing the U.S. This is true even if the alien has been authorized to travel through advance parole or a refugee travel document. It is also important to keep in mind that some bars may be overcome with a waiver.

Waivers and bars are a complicated area of federal immigration law. If you find yourself in a situation where you or a loved one have accrued unlawful presence, you probably want to speak to an experienced immigration attorney to discuss your case.

You May Also Like

Comparing Processing Times: K1 Visa vs. Spousal Visa Spread the love "Is K1 visa faster than spouse visa?" This is the question you usually encounter when bringing your foreign spouse to the United States. While both pathways... VIEW POST
Speeding Up The Spouse Visa Process: Tips For A Faster Application Spread the love Picture this: You have found love across borders, and now you want to bring your foreign spouse to the United States to start a new life... VIEW POST
How Long Does It Take for the NVC to Schedule Your Visa Interview? Spread the love The National Visa Center (NVC) is the administrative wing of the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, handling the paperwork for immigrant visa applications. ... VIEW POST

Download Free Guide 
2023 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.

Download Free Guide 2022 Immigrant’s Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know
to become a U.S. citizen.

Answers Show
Live every week.