Health Insurance and Medical Exam

Health Insurance and Medical Exam

Can I run my medical exam through health insurance?

Hi, I’m Jim Hacking, immigration lawyer practicing law throughout the United States at our office here in St Louis, Missouri. This week’s question comes from someone named Yelth.

Yelth is wondering if they are eligible to have their medical exam that they need for adjustment of status, can they run that through their health insurance? And the answer to this question is, no. So anyone who’s seeking a green card in the United States has to go see a USCIS civil surgeon.

And the costs for these exams depend on where you live. Oftentimes you can call around, and different doctor’s offices, charge different amounts. But Yelth is wondering, can I run this charge through my health insurance? And the answer, like I said, is no, you can’t run your medical exam for the I-693, the USCIS civil surgeon exam.

You can’t run those tests or those vaccinations through your health insurance. The health insurance won’t approve those, and you’re going to have to pay for it out of pocket, either in cash, or credit card, or debit, to the medical facility directly. You don’t pay it to USCIS, you pay it to the doctor, and they all set their own price. And so it does make sense to call around and see what kind of a deal you can get, but you’re going to have to pay for that yourself.

So hope you found this helpful. If you did give us a call, 314-961-8200. You can email us at [email protected] Be sure to join us in our Facebook group. It’s called Immigrant Home. And if you liked this video, we ask that you share it out on social, and subscribe to our YouTube channel, so that you get updates whenever we make videos, just like this one. Thanks a lot.