Is your case stuck in administrative process for years? We can help you by completing this form

St. Louis Green Card Renewal Lawyer

Spread the love

In order to maintain your permanent residency status in the United States, you must ensure that you renew your green card in a timely manner. Making sure that you renew your green card within the proper time period – and in the required manner – is your responsibility. If you do not take the time to properly renew your green card, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) can begin removal proceedings against you.

If you need to renew your green card, it is a good idea to have an experienced attorney by your side throughout the process. A St. Louis green card renewal lawyer at Hacking Immigration Law, LLC could help you complete your application correctly and collect all of the necessary documents for this process.

Filing a Green Card Renewal Application in St. Louis

The first step to renewing a green card is to complete and file the proper application. Anyone who is a permanent resident and knows that their 10-year green card has already expired – or that it will expire at some point in the next six months – is eligible to begin the renewal process. An applicant begins the green card renewal process by electronically filing a Form I-90 and by filing a paper copy via regular mail. A lawyer in St. Louis could help with the beginning stages of the green card renewal process by ensuring that an applicant fills out all the proper forms.

Applicants are able to check the status of their green card renewal applications online. To check the status of their application, an immigrant should click the online link for “My Case Status.” The status of an electronically filed application, may not be available online for several days. To keep track of an online application’s status, applicants should retain a copy of each of the following:

  • Alien Registration Number
  • Receipt number
  • The application itself

Renewing a Green Card While Outside the United States

Sometimes, an immigrant’s green card comes up for renewal while they are outside the United States. Individuals whose green cards are set to expire within a period of six months, but who will return to the United States within one year of departing (and prior to the expiration of their green card), should apply for renewal immediately after returning to the country.

If an individual’s green card expires during a time when they are residing outside the United States, they should contact the closest USCIS office, consulate, or port of entry before filing their green card renewal form. An attorney in St. Louis could help someone with this potentially more complicated process if they are outside of the U.S. while trying to renew their green card.

Appealing an Application Denial

If USCIS denies an immigrant’s green card renewal application, this applicant may be able to appeal that decision by filing a motion for reconsideration with the USCIS. The appeal must allege new facts that could potentially reverse the decision. This petition also may include documentation to show that the government did not apply immigration law or policy correctly. A St. Louis attorney could help someone with the appeals process if their application for green card renewal was denied.

Talk to a St. Louis Green Card Renewal Attorney

The process of renewing your green card can be difficult. If it is time for you to apply for renewal, a lawyer could be an invaluable help. A St. Louis green card renewal lawyer could help you take the necessary legal steps to have your LPR status renewed and could assist you with completing your application. To get started on your case, call today.

Download Free Guide 
2023 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.