Is your case stuck in administrative process? We can help you by completing this form.

Staying in US While Green Card Pending

Spread the love

If I'm in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa and I get married and apply for adjustment, can I stay while that case is pending?

Hi, I'm Jim Hacking. Immigration lawyer practicing law throughout the United States at our office here in St. Louis, Missouri. When love is in the air, foreign nationals sometimes marry U.S. citizens and when a foreign national marries a U.S. citizen and that foreign national is in the United States on a nonimmigrant visa. Let's say an F1 or an employment-based, like an H1B, anything like that, where they're in the United States, even a B1B2 visa. If they're in the United States and they get married to a U.S. citizen, the question comes up from time to time; do I have to go back home if my visa expires, or if I stop going to school, if I'm on an F1? Or; if my visa is going to end before my green card case will be decided, can I stay in the United States or do I have to leave?

And for most situations, you're not going to have to leave. Now, you should be able to stay in the United States and adjust your status. And that's true, even if you file on the last day that you're nonimmigrant visa is available. You're going to be able to adjust. In fact, technically in certain circumstances, you can even file if you're out of status. We have other videos that discuss that. So in this video, we're talking about situations where someone is coming towards the end of their nonimmigrant visa, and they marry you a U.S. citizen. They do not have to leave the United States. You want to get your cases on file before the visa expires, or at least get your receipt notices back before the case files. That's a better approach, but you're not going to have to leave the United States.

Now, if you marry a green card holder, you are not an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. Therefore, you have to maintain your status all the way up until you get your green card, so you're going to want to make sure that you maintain your status, but if you're married to a U.S. citizen, you can stay here, even if it takes them two years to decide your case. You'll get that temporary work card and that temporary travel card, and so you are free to stay in the United States while that case is pending.

We hope you found this video helpful. If you have questions, give us a call (314) 961-8200. You can email us at info@hacking Be sure to join us on our Facebook group, which is called the immigrant home. And if you liked this video, we ask that you to please share it out on social, to all your friends and neighbors, and also subscribe to our YouTube channel, so you get updates whenever we make videos, just like this one. Thanks a lot. Have a great day.

You May Also Like

What Does “USCIS Case Status Denied” Mean? Spread the love The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) handles immigration applications in the U.S. It operates under the United States Department of Homeland Security. USCIS offers... VIEW POST
How To Apply For U.S. Passport After Naturalization: A Complete Guide Spread the love Congratulations on becoming a U.S. citizen! As a naturalized citizen, you now have the opportunity to obtain a U.S. passport, one of the most powerful travel... VIEW POST
A Complete Guide To The U.S. Naturalization Test And Interview Spread the love Becoming a U.S. citizen is an exciting and life-changing journey. One of the key steps in this process is taking the naturalization test. This test, administered... VIEW POST

Download Free Guide 
2024 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.

Download Free Guide 2022 Immigrant’s Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know
to become a U.S. citizen.

Answers Show
Live every week.