Is your case stuck in administrative process? We can help you by completing this form.

U.S. Immigration Officials want to transport exchange student back to native country in coma

Spread the love

After a horrible accident leaves a Pakistani exchange student in a coma, his student visa is set to expire and immigration officials are looking to transport him on a flight back to his native country. Family members are concerned that the 24 hour flight could do more harm than good and want for him to stay in the U.S. where medical care is more advanced.

Accident puts exchange student in coma

Muhammad Shahzaib Bajwa was studying anthropology and sociology at the University of Wisconsin when his car hit a deer running across the highway. He was taken to the hospital then transferred to a different one after going into cardiac arrest. Since the accident, Bajwa has been laying in a coma. Bajwa’s older brother and mother flew to the U.S. from Pakistan after hearing what happened and have been receiving help from the Islamic community who have found housing for the family members. “The support and the love we got from the people of Duluth, from the UWS people, the hospital, it’s been very tremendous,” Shahraiz said.

Community working to extend Bajwa’s Visa

While the family is trying to remain positive and stay focused on Bajwa’s recovery, they quickly learned that his student visa was going to expire and was not going to be extended. Because of this, the hospital began making transportation arrangements to send Bajwa back to Pakistan. His family is concerned because “It’s a 24-hour flight, and anything can happen to him on the flight,” Shahraiz said. “We don’t want to take that risk, and we want to keep him here until he is fully recovered because it’s the best medical system in the world. And they want us to take him to a third-world country.” Church organizations and immigration attorneys are currently working on the case hoping to have an exception made in this case and have his visa renewed. Even if the extension is granted, doctors predict a long road to recovery is ahead of Bajwa.

If you have questions regarding applying for a visa or immigration laws, contact us at 314-961-8200 or visit our contact page.

You May Also Like

Everything You Need to Know About H1B Premium Processing Fee Spread the love The H1B visa is a nonimmigrant visa allowing American employers to hire foreign workers in special positions for a certain period. Specialty occupations usually need a... VIEW POST
Form I-90 Filing Fee Breakdown: Renewing or Replacing Your Green Card Spread the love If you’re a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States, you’re given a green card, also known as a permanent resident card. This legal document... VIEW POST
What Does “USCIS Case Status Denied” Mean? Spread the love The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) handles immigration applications in the U.S. It operates under the United States Department of Homeland Security. USCIS offers... VIEW POST

Download Free Guide 
2024 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.

Download Free Guide 2022 Immigrant’s Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know
to become a U.S. citizen.

Answers Show
Live every week.