Click here to see how our firm is preparing for COVID-19

US Citizen Kid Sponsoring Parent

Spread the love

Can my U.S. Citizen child sponsored me for a green card? Hi, I'm Jim Hacking, immigration lawyer practicing law throughout the United States out of our office here in St. Louis, Missouri. Today's question comes from [Aneil 00:00:13]. It was a comment in one of our recent YouTube videos. And Aneil says that he has a U.S. citizen child who's eight years old, and he has ... This child has nobody else in the United States who can protect him, and Aneil is wondering, can that serve as a basis for Aneil the father of the eight-year-old citizen to get a green card? And the answer to this question is no. You can't get a green card based on having a relationship with a U.S. citizen child until that child turns 21.

That's great that Aneil has a child who was born in the United States, but some people that are under the mistaken belief that that in and of itself will give the foreign national parent a path to a green card. It doesn't. Under current law, it's not until the child turns 21 that they can sponsor their parent for a green card. We hear a lot of complaints from the right about so-called birthright citizenship. The fact that in the United States if someone is born in the United States, they're automatically a citizen. That is not the case in most foreign countries, and it is the rule in America. A lot of people sometimes come here on a student visa or a work visa, and they and their spouse end up having a child. That child ends up being born in the United States, and then for a long time that child is the only us citizen in the family unless there are other children of course.

A lot of times people's visas will run out and they'll have to leave the United States. And we get this email a lot, this question a lot, like the question that Aneil asked. "Well, the fact that I have this U.S. citizen child, will that give me some sort of status in the United States?" And the answer is no. It doesn't give you any status like I said until they turn 21. Now once they turn 21, they can file an 1-130 petition for an alien relative and sponsor their parents to come to the United States or to adjust their status here in the United States. But that's the operative thing.

A lot of people will say, "Well, Jim, I want my child to go to school. Can I get a visa to just attend school with them or to move?" I remember that there's a school for the deaf here in the United States, in St. Louis actually where we are. And we had a client whose son was attending Central Institute for the Deaf. That's the name of the school. And they want to know if they could get a visa to be here and take care of the kid while he was going to the deaf school, and that didn't work. The fact that the child was born in the United States doesn't necessarily, doesn't at all give the parents the right to stay. And so that's true if they want to come to get medical treatment or schooling, or even just live their life here.

A lot of people think, "Oh, well, it's just fundamentally unfair that my U.S. citizen child can't stay in the United States." The fact is that they could stay in the United States. They can, but you can't. And so that's what you need to keep in mind. If you have questions about this or about how a child can sponsor a parent for a green card, give us a call at 314-961-8200. You can email us at [email protected] Be sure to join us in our Facebook group, which is called Immigrant Home. And if you like this video, we ask that you please share it out on social and that you subscribe to our YouTube channel so that you get updates whenever we make videos just like this one. Thanks a lot. Have a great day.

You May Also Like

Why Do Mandamus Lawsuits Over Immigration Delays Work? Spread the love When you file an immigration petition, you expect a decision within a certain time. But sometimes, the government takes much longer than expected to make a... VIEW POST
What Can the USCIS Ombudsman Do To Speed Up Your Immigration Case? Spread the loveWaiting for your immigration case resolution can feel like a never-ending nightmare. You're not sure what's taking so long, and every day feels like an eternity. You... VIEW POST
USCIS Processing Times: A Definitive Guide Spread the loveWaiting for your green card, visa, citizenship, and other immigration processes can be stressful. With all the backlogs, government interruptions, and changing policies, you should prepare for... VIEW POST

Download Free Guide 
2022 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.

Download Free Guide 2022 Immigrant’s Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know
to become a U.S. citizen.

Answers Show
Live every week.