Click here to see how our firm is preparing for COVID-19

What is a re-entry permit and why would I need one?

USCIS allows lawful permanent residents to leave the United States under certain conditions. However, if an LPR leaves for more then one year, their LPR card may be deemed invalid. A reentry permit demonstrates to USCIS that the LPR did not intend to abandon their status and will allow for the person to reenter the United States without having to obtain a visa. The reentry permit is only necessary for trips of longer than one year.

You must apply for the reentry permit before you leave the United States. You must be undergo biometrics (fingerprinting) in the United States before you leave the United States. You do not have to stay in the United States once your biometrics have been obtained. In such a situation, you should note on your application for reentry permit (I-131) that you want the permit sent to the consulate in the country which you will be visiting.

If you have left the United States and been gone for more than one year and if you never obtained a reentry permit, you may need to apply for a returning resident visa in order to be able to come back to the United States. However, you must show that your long stay outside the United States was outside of your control.

Obtaining a reentry permit can be tricky. If you need assistance in obtaining a reentry permit, please contact St. Louis Immigration Attorney Jim Hacking at 314-961-8200 or by using our web contact form.

You May Also Like

Why Do Mandamus Lawsuits Over Immigration Delays Work? Spread the love When you file an immigration petition, you expect a decision within a certain time. But sometimes, the government takes much longer than expected to make a... VIEW POST
What Can the USCIS Ombudsman Do To Speed Up Your Immigration Case? Spread the loveWaiting for your immigration case resolution can feel like a never-ending nightmare. You're not sure what's taking so long, and every day feels like an eternity. You... VIEW POST
USCIS Processing Times: A Definitive Guide Spread the loveWaiting for your green card, visa, citizenship, and other immigration processes can be stressful. With all the backlogs, government interruptions, and changing policies, you should prepare for... VIEW POST

Download Free Guide 
2022 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.

Download Free Guide 2022 Immigrant’s Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know
to become a U.S. citizen.

Answers Show
Live every week.