Is your case stuck in administrative process for years? We can help you by completing this form

Immigration Lawyer
Washington DC

Spread the love

Anyone who applies for and is granted legal permanent resident status within the United States is expected to live in the country on a permanent basis without leaving for any lengthy period of time. Therefore, if you want to travel aboard for longer than one year but would like to keep your LPR status, you must seek special permission from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to do so.

Obtaining a reentry permit requires substantial documentation and may introduce several legal complications. As such, working with a Washington DC reentry permit lawyer can be helpful to pursuing this type of documentation effectively. With an experienced immigration attorney’s guidance, you will be much less likely to inadvertently make a mistake in your petition or misstep when it comes to USCIS regulations. We could work hard to ensure that your travel plans can proceed without interfering with your lawful status here.

When to Apply for a Reentry Permit

The primary function of a reentry permit is to formally notify the U.S. government that you do not intend to abandon your permanent residence within the U.S. even though you will be out of the country for an extended time. A person with LPR status who acquires a reentry permit may leave their U.S. residence and travel aboard for a maximum of two continuous years without needing to get a returning resident visa. It can also serve as a substitute for a passport from a green card holder’s country of origin in some situations.

It is crucial for any lawful permanent resident intending to travel outside U.S. borders for longer than one year to obtain a reentry permit before departing. While it is technically possible to reestablish LPR status after a prolonged absence without such a permit, it requires an appearance before an immigration judge and involves a much more complex process of proving that there was no intent to abandon the U.S. residence. Additionally, USCIS does not permit applications for reentry permits to be filed from outside U.S. borders.

Accordingly, prospective applicants should file their reentry permit petition no later than 60 days before their intended date of departure. A Washington, DC attorney could provide a clearer picture of formal and informal deadlines associated with this proceeding, as well as assist with building a comprehensive reentry permit petition in a timely fashion.

The Reentry Permit Application Process

Individuals who want to acquire a reentry permit must complete Form I-131 and submit it to USCIS along with copies of official photo identification and documents proving valid LPR status. It may also be necessary to pay a filing fee in some circumstances.

After confirming their receipt of a reentry permit application and necessary supporting documents, USCIS may forward notifications about required biometrics screening and/or interview appearances. Once granted, reentry permits cannot be extended or renewed, and anyone who wishes to apply for a new one must return any active permits they have before they will be allowed to apply. An attorney in Washington DC could help someone through the process of applying for a re-entry permit.

Seek Help from a Washington DC Reentry Permit Attorney

Having a reentry permit is essential to maintaining lawful permanent resident status here while traveling outside of the U.S. for an extended period of time. If you have travel plans of this nature, acquiring this permit should be a top priority.

A dedicated Washington DC reentry permit lawyer could guide you through this application process and help you pursue a positive outcome. Call today for a consultation.

Get in touch with
a HIL immigration attorney in
Washington DC

Navigating the maze of U.S. immigration law can be tricky for anybody, especially if English is your second language or you have unique circumstances motivating you to move here. Fortunately, if you are unsure about any areas of immigration or the naturalization process, help through an immigration lawyer (Washington DC) is available at the Hacking Immigration Law LLC.

Retaining one of our dedicated Washington DC immigration lawyers could help you both with USCIS and other U.S. immigration authorities. To find out how immigration attorneys could help you with your specific case, call us today to schedule a consultation.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy 
Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What They Say About Us

Our Lawyers Have Received Over 500 Google Reviews

Sriram Devanathan

im is a great attorney who always has his human side “ON”. The clients come first to him. When approached for time sensitive issues, he was readily available and was prompt. I have had to reach out to him for myself & have recommended him to others. He always welcomed everyone and gave patient hearing. And he would not mind recommending other attorneys’ if he feels that they would better serve that particular case. Even if it means one less client for him. That sums up who Jim is. Thank you Jim!

Justin Charboneau

Jim and his team are extremely knowledgeable individuals. It is great to have someone like this on your side. I have and will continue to recommend Hacking Law Practice, LLC to anyone who needs legal advice on immigration issues.

Bouchra Aanouz

This firm was amazing helping me with my husband’s case. Jim and his team were very responsive to all my questions and concerns. i wish I had consulted them earlier as my husband’s case was stuck in Administrative Processing for over a year and a half. Two months after I gave my case to Jim, my husband was granted his visa. Would definitely recommend them and already have recommended them to my friends.

As seen in

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers

The attorneys at the Hacking Immigration Law are dedicated to helping the foreign-born people of St. Louis to live and work in the United States. This dedication is reflected in the kind and grateful words of the clients they have helped. Read what others have to say about the hard work that the Hacking Immigration Law has done to help those in St. Louis.

Does paying for premium processing on an H1B case mean I will find out sooner if our case was selected in the lottery?

Premium processing is an add-on service that USCIS offers for a variety of immigration cases, primarily in the employment-based visa categories.Premium processing costs an additional $1225 in USCIS filing fees.

What is the H-1B visa lottery and how does it work?

In 2014, USCIS received more than 172,000 H-1B visa applications on the April 1st deadline, exceeding Congress’s cap by 87,000 applications.

Can an Unmarried Son or Daughter of a Lawful Permanent Resident Keep Their F2B Visa Classification After Their Sponsoring Parent Naturalizes?

The immigration laws treat the adult, unmarried children of citizens differently than the adult, unmarried children of lawful permanent residents.

What is the "newspaper of general circulation" for PERM job postings?

The Department of Labor requires employers to advertise positions that they intend to submit a PERM application on to publish the job position in the local newspaper of general circulation.

Can I Apply for Citizenship with an Expired Green Card?

In the past, USCIS and some immigration attorneys believed that you could not become a naturalized citizen if you did not have a valid green card (LPR) card to bring with you to your naturalization interview.

Is there such a thing as expedited removal of an immigrant and, if so, what is it?

Most people believe that removal orders or “deportation” orders only happen when you go to the immigration court and see an immigration judge. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Does testing positive for HIV make someone inadmissible to the United States?

On January 4, 2010, the United States officially removed Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection from the list of “communicable diseases of public health significance” that make an individual ineligible for admission to the United States.

Are there any special visas for translators who assisted US forces in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Under United States immigration law, there are two Special Immigrant Visas available for Iraqi citizens or nationals who have worked for the United States.