Is your case stuck in administrative process? We can help you by completing this form.

Immigration Lawyer
Washington DC

Immigration Lawyer of Washington DC

Spread the love

Unfortunately, it is far from uncommon for individuals dealing with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services to have to wait a long time before receiving a final response to their application. With that in mind, delays in USCIS processing sometimes stretch out for so long that they become unreasonable, potentially justifying or necessitating legal action by the applicant to get the process moving again.

If several months or years have passed without your application being resolved, you may want to contact a Washington, DC immigration delay lawyer. An experienced immigration attorney could explain the means by which you could contest an unreasonable holdup and get the answers you deserve about your application status.

Checking on Application Status During Processing

Even when it is moving at its relative top speed, USCIS generally still requires several months to process a single application for an immigrant visa, green card, or naturalized citizenship. For example, according to recent USCIS data, the average processing time for seeking adjustment of status based on family sponsorship was 13.4 months in 2021, and N-400 naturalization applications had average processing times of 12.2 months.

After they have submitted an application with USCIS and received a receipt number, applicants can enter that receipt number into the case status online tool provided by USCIS to check what stage of processing their application has reached. However, this site does not offer estimates for how long each stage will take, and there is unfortunately little else to do but wait for more communication from USCIS. In the event an application gets stuck at a particular stage for an unreasonable length of time, though, a Washington DC attorney may be able to help with immigration delay.

Options for Resolving an Unreasonable Delay

There are a few ways to possibly address a delay in immigration processing through legal action, some more drastic than others. First and foremost, it may be worth reaching out to USCIS directly to see if they can provide more clarity about an application’s status. Likewise, the USCIS Ombudsman’s Office could potentially find where an application has gotten stuck during processing and get it moving again.

In more extreme situations, it may be necessary to file a special type of lawsuit called a writ of mandamus, the purpose of which is to compel a federal agency to complete their assigned duties within a reasonable amount of time as required by federal law. If someone is experiencing delay with their immigration application, a lawyer in Washington, DC could help facilitate this type of claim or seek assistance in the form of a congressional inquiry.

Talk to a Washington, DC Immigration Delay Attorney Today

It is important to understand that legal action against a delay in the processing of an immigration application does not guarantee that the applicant will get the response they want from USCIS. That being said, it can be a crucial way for applicants to at least get some clear information about their application status, so they can decide what next steps to take to preserve their future plans and prospects.

A qualified Washington, DC immigration delay lawyer could be a crucial ally to have by your side during this kind of situation. Schedule a consultation with an attorney at Hacking Immigration Law, LLC by calling today.

Get in touch with
a HIL immigration attorney in
Washington DC

Navigating the maze of U.S. immigration law can be tricky for anybody, especially if English is your second language or you have unique circumstances motivating you to move here. Fortunately, if you are unsure about any areas of immigration or the naturalization process, help through an immigration lawyer (Washington DC) is available at the Hacking Immigration Law LLC.

Retaining one of our dedicated Washington DC immigration lawyers could help you both with USCIS and other U.S. immigration authorities. To find out how immigration attorneys could help you with your specific case, call us today to schedule a consultation.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy 
Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What They Say About Us

Our Lawyers Have Received Over 500 Google Reviews

Sriram Devanathan

im is a great attorney who always has his human side “ON”. The clients come first to him. When approached for time sensitive issues, he was readily available and was prompt. I have had to reach out to him for myself & have recommended him to others. He always welcomed everyone and gave patient hearing. And he would not mind recommending other attorneys’ if he feels that they would better serve that particular case. Even if it means one less client for him. That sums up who Jim is. Thank you Jim!

Justin Charboneau

Jim and his team are extremely knowledgeable individuals. It is great to have someone like this on your side. I have and will continue to recommend Hacking Law Practice, LLC to anyone who needs legal advice on immigration issues.

Bouchra Aanouz

This firm was amazing helping me with my husband’s case. Jim and his team were very responsive to all my questions and concerns. i wish I had consulted them earlier as my husband’s case was stuck in Administrative Processing for over a year and a half. Two months after I gave my case to Jim, my husband was granted his visa. Would definitely recommend them and already have recommended them to my friends.

As seen in

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers

The attorneys at the Hacking Immigration Law are dedicated to helping the foreign-born people of St. Louis to live and work in the United States. This dedication is reflected in the kind and grateful words of the clients they have helped. Read what others have to say about the hard work that the Hacking Immigration Law has done to help those in St. Louis.

Does paying for premium processing on an H1B case mean I will find out sooner if our case was selected in the lottery?

Premium processing is an add-on service that USCIS offers for a variety of immigration cases, primarily in the employment-based visa categories.Premium processing costs an additional $1225 in USCIS filing fees.

What is the H-1B visa lottery and how does it work?

In 2014, USCIS received more than 172,000 H-1B visa applications on the April 1st deadline, exceeding Congress’s cap by 87,000 applications.

Can an Unmarried Son or Daughter of a Lawful Permanent Resident Keep Their F2B Visa Classification After Their Sponsoring Parent Naturalizes?

The immigration laws treat the adult, unmarried children of citizens differently than the adult, unmarried children of lawful permanent residents.

What is the "newspaper of general circulation" for PERM job postings?

The Department of Labor requires employers to advertise positions that they intend to submit a PERM application on to publish the job position in the local newspaper of general circulation.

Can I Apply for Citizenship with an Expired Green Card?

In the past, USCIS and some immigration attorneys believed that you could not become a naturalized citizen if you did not have a valid green card (LPR) card to bring with you to your naturalization interview.

Is there such a thing as expedited removal of an immigrant and, if so, what is it?

Most people believe that removal orders or “deportation” orders only happen when you go to the immigration court and see an immigration judge. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Does testing positive for HIV make someone inadmissible to the United States?

On January 4, 2010, the United States officially removed Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection from the list of “communicable diseases of public health significance” that make an individual ineligible for admission to the United States.

Are there any special visas for translators who assisted US forces in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Under United States immigration law, there are two Special Immigrant Visas available for Iraqi citizens or nationals who have worked for the United States.