Is your case stuck in administrative process? We can help you by completing this form.

Immigration Lawyer
Washington DC

Spread the love

If you have U.S. citizenship or Legal Permanent Resident status, you may be eligible to sponsor the immigration of certain family members into the United States. Likewise, if a family member of yours holds either of those qualifications, they may be able to help you apply for an immigrant visa.

No matter what your role is in this situation, though, you may have a lot of difficulty navigating USCIS regulations and achieving the result you want without guidance from a knowledgeable immigration attorney. By retaining a Washington DC family immigration lawyer, you could make the process of pursuing lawful immigration for your loved ones much simpler.

Available Visas for Family-Based Immigration

USCIS offers two types of family-based immigrant visas, one of which is meant for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, and the other of which is meant for immediate relatives of individuals with Legal Permanent Resident status and extended family members of U.S. citizens. A Washington DC attorney could provide crucial assistance pursuing either type of family-based immigration visa.

In this context, an “immediate relative” of a U.S. citizen could be someone’s spouse, unmarried child no older than 21, or parent. It is important to note that this visa may only extend to parents of U.S. citizens if the sponsor is at least 21 years old. Additionally, the widows of U.S. citizens are eligible for family-based immigrant visas and green cards if they were lawfully married to that citizen at the time of their death.

Other family members of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents may be eligible for Family Preference visas. These are distributed in the following preference order:

  • Unmarried children of U.S. citizens who are over 21 years old
  • Spouses and unmarried children under 21 of lawful permanent residents
  • Unmarried children over 21 of lawful permanent residents
  • Married children of U.S. citizens
  • Siblings of U.S. citizens, provided the citizen is at least 21 years old

Immigrant visas and green cards are generally not available to more distant relatives of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents like aunts and uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews, or grandparents.

Basic Steps in the Family Preference Visa Application Process

A prospective recipient of a family-based immigrant visa cannot start the application process by themselves. The family member who will sponsor the immigrant must file Form I-130 on the applicant’s behalf, as well as pay certain application fees, submit an Affidavit of Support, and show through appropriate financial documentation that they are capable of supporting their family member should the need arise.

Once these steps are complete, the prospective recipient must complete Form DS-260 and submit it along with relevant civil and identifying documents proving their eligibility for a family-based visa. Depending on the circumstances, this could include documents like birth certificates, marriage certificates, passports from their country of origin, or documents confirming a legal adoption.

Finally, applicants generally must participate in an interview process either at a USCIS field office or the U.S. Consulate or Embassy closest to them in their country of origin. A lawyer in Washington DC could help someone seeking immigration through a family member through this difficult process.

Talk to a Washington DC Family Immigration Attorney Today

If you want to move to the U.S. based on your relationship with a citizen or lawful permanent resident, you have a long list of procedures and prerequisite conditions to fulfill before gaining lawful entry. Similarly, sponsoring a family member’s immigration to the U.S. comes with significant responsibilities that are important to understand before you file any forms with USCIS.

A Washington DC family immigration could provide the guidance you need to ensure your loved ones have a happy resolution to this process. Call today for a consultation.

Get in touch with
a HIL immigration attorney in
Washington DC

Navigating the maze of U.S. immigration law can be tricky for anybody, especially if English is your second language or you have unique circumstances motivating you to move here. Fortunately, if you are unsure about any areas of immigration or the naturalization process, help through an immigration lawyer (Washington DC) is available at the Hacking Immigration Law LLC.

Retaining one of our dedicated Washington DC immigration lawyers could help you both with USCIS and other U.S. immigration authorities. To find out how immigration attorneys could help you with your specific case, call us today to schedule a consultation.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy 
Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What They Say About Us

Our Lawyers Have Received Over 500 Google Reviews

Sriram Devanathan

im is a great attorney who always has his human side “ON”. The clients come first to him. When approached for time sensitive issues, he was readily available and was prompt. I have had to reach out to him for myself & have recommended him to others. He always welcomed everyone and gave patient hearing. And he would not mind recommending other attorneys’ if he feels that they would better serve that particular case. Even if it means one less client for him. That sums up who Jim is. Thank you Jim!

Justin Charboneau

Jim and his team are extremely knowledgeable individuals. It is great to have someone like this on your side. I have and will continue to recommend Hacking Law Practice, LLC to anyone who needs legal advice on immigration issues.

Bouchra Aanouz

This firm was amazing helping me with my husband’s case. Jim and his team were very responsive to all my questions and concerns. i wish I had consulted them earlier as my husband’s case was stuck in Administrative Processing for over a year and a half. Two months after I gave my case to Jim, my husband was granted his visa. Would definitely recommend them and already have recommended them to my friends.

As seen in

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers

The attorneys at the Hacking Immigration Law are dedicated to helping the foreign-born people of St. Louis to live and work in the United States. This dedication is reflected in the kind and grateful words of the clients they have helped. Read what others have to say about the hard work that the Hacking Immigration Law has done to help those in St. Louis.

Does paying for premium processing on an H1B case mean I will find out sooner if our case was selected in the lottery?

Premium processing is an add-on service that USCIS offers for a variety of immigration cases, primarily in the employment-based visa categories.Premium processing costs an additional $1225 in USCIS filing fees.

What is the H-1B visa lottery and how does it work?

In 2014, USCIS received more than 172,000 H-1B visa applications on the April 1st deadline, exceeding Congress’s cap by 87,000 applications.

Can an Unmarried Son or Daughter of a Lawful Permanent Resident Keep Their F2B Visa Classification After Their Sponsoring Parent Naturalizes?

The immigration laws treat the adult, unmarried children of citizens differently than the adult, unmarried children of lawful permanent residents.

What is the "newspaper of general circulation" for PERM job postings?

The Department of Labor requires employers to advertise positions that they intend to submit a PERM application on to publish the job position in the local newspaper of general circulation.

Can I Apply for Citizenship with an Expired Green Card?

In the past, USCIS and some immigration attorneys believed that you could not become a naturalized citizen if you did not have a valid green card (LPR) card to bring with you to your naturalization interview.

Is there such a thing as expedited removal of an immigrant and, if so, what is it?

Most people believe that removal orders or “deportation” orders only happen when you go to the immigration court and see an immigration judge. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Does testing positive for HIV make someone inadmissible to the United States?

On January 4, 2010, the United States officially removed Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection from the list of “communicable diseases of public health significance” that make an individual ineligible for admission to the United States.

Are there any special visas for translators who assisted US forces in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Under United States immigration law, there are two Special Immigrant Visas available for Iraqi citizens or nationals who have worked for the United States.