Is your case stuck in administrative process for years? We can help you by completing this form

Immigration Lawyer
San Diego

Spread the love

If green cardholders wish to spend at least one year outside the country, they should obtain a reentry permit. A reentry permit is necessary because it may be used as evidence to immigration officials that these individuals do not wish to give up their United States residency when traveling abroad.

If you are a current green card holder but anticipate living outside the country for an extended period of time, you should get in touch with an attorney from Hacking Immigration Law, LLC. A San Diego reentry permit lawyer could answer all of your legal questions and start you on your way to obtaining the documentation you need.

Applying for a Reentry Permit in San Diego

To obtain a reentry permit, a green card holder must first fill out the proper application and complete a series of legal steps. An individual must file the reentry permit application prior to extended travel outside of the United States. Applicants must complete a Form I-131, which United States Citizenship and Immigration Services issues. This form also pertains to other types of travel document applications. Therefore, applicants should only complete the portions which apply to them. Applicants must also complete the following steps:

  • Obtain a copy of the green card or passport page that shows admission to the United States as a permanent resident
  • Pay the necessary reentry application fee
  • Pay the necessary biometrics fee
  • Obtain two passport-style color photographs
  • Submit their applications to USCIS via regular mail

USCIS typically takes 90 days or more to make a final decision about whether to grant or deny a reentry permit. Consequently, applicants should apply at least 60 days before they depart for their destination outside the United States.

In most circumstances, these permits to the United States is valid for two years from the date the government issues the permit. Unfortunately, a green card holder may not extend the amount of time on their reentry permit. Once the permit expires, they must return to the U.S. and apply for a new one. A San Diego lawyer could help someone with the process of applying for a reentry permit.

Reasons for Denial of a Reentry Permit Application

USCIS has the discretion to deny a reentry permit for any reason. USCIS may deny an application if the applicant still has a valid reentry document in their possession or if the applicant forgets to include the necessary fee with their application. An applicant may be able to appeal a denial within 33 days of receiving their final denial letter from USCIS. An attorney in San Diego could help someone take legal action after being denied for a reentry permit.

Speak with a San Diego Reentry Permit Attorney Today

Failing to properly apply for a reentry permit can have serious consequences on your immigration status. If USCIS denies your application, you may not be able to reenter the United States when you return from traveling abroad. A San Diego reentry permit lawyer could assist you with completing your application and safeguard your ability to return to the United States.

Get in touch with
a HIL immigration attorney in
San Diego

Navigating the maze of U.S. immigration law can be tricky for anybody, especially if English is your second language or you have unique circumstances motivating you to move here. Fortunately, if you are unsure about any areas of immigration or the naturalization process, help through an immigration lawyer (San Diego) is available at the Hacking Immigration Law LLC.

Retaining one of our dedicated San Diego immigration lawyers could help you both with USCIS and other U.S. immigration authorities. To find out how immigration attorneys could help you with your specific case, call us today to schedule a consultation.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy 
Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What They Say About Us

Our Lawyers Have Received Over 500 Google Reviews

Sriram Devanathan

im is a great attorney who always has his human side “ON”. The clients come first to him. When approached for time sensitive issues, he was readily available and was prompt. I have had to reach out to him for myself & have recommended him to others. He always welcomed everyone and gave patient hearing. And he would not mind recommending other attorneys’ if he feels that they would better serve that particular case. Even if it means one less client for him. That sums up who Jim is. Thank you Jim!

Justin Charboneau

Jim and his team are extremely knowledgeable individuals. It is great to have someone like this on your side. I have and will continue to recommend Hacking Law Practice, LLC to anyone who needs legal advice on immigration issues.

Bouchra Aanouz

This firm was amazing helping me with my husband’s case. Jim and his team were very responsive to all my questions and concerns. i wish I had consulted them earlier as my husband’s case was stuck in Administrative Processing for over a year and a half. Two months after I gave my case to Jim, my husband was granted his visa. Would definitely recommend them and already have recommended them to my friends.

As seen in

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers

The attorneys at the Hacking Immigration Law are dedicated to helping the foreign-born people of St. Louis to live and work in the United States. This dedication is reflected in the kind and grateful words of the clients they have helped. Read what others have to say about the hard work that the Hacking Immigration Law has done to help those in St. Louis.

Does paying for premium processing on an H1B case mean I will find out sooner if our case was selected in the lottery?

Premium processing is an add-on service that USCIS offers for a variety of immigration cases, primarily in the employment-based visa categories.Premium processing costs an additional $1225 in USCIS filing fees.

What is the H-1B visa lottery and how does it work?

In 2014, USCIS received more than 172,000 H-1B visa applications on the April 1st deadline, exceeding Congress’s cap by 87,000 applications.

Can an Unmarried Son or Daughter of a Lawful Permanent Resident Keep Their F2B Visa Classification After Their Sponsoring Parent Naturalizes?

The immigration laws treat the adult, unmarried children of citizens differently than the adult, unmarried children of lawful permanent residents.

What is the "newspaper of general circulation" for PERM job postings?

The Department of Labor requires employers to advertise positions that they intend to submit a PERM application on to publish the job position in the local newspaper of general circulation.

Can I Apply for Citizenship if I Lost My Green Card or It Expired?

In the past, USCIS and some immigration attorneys believed that you could not become a naturalized citizen if you did not have a valid green card (LPR) card to bring with you to your naturalization interview.

Is there such a thing as expedited removal of an immigrant and, if so, what is it?

Most people believe that removal orders or “deportation” orders only happen when you go to the immigration court and see an immigration judge. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Does testing positive for HIV make someone inadmissible to the United States?

On January 4, 2010, the United States officially removed Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection from the list of “communicable diseases of public health significance” that make an individual ineligible for admission to the United States.

Are there any special visas for translators who assisted US forces in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Under United States immigration law, there are two Special Immigrant Visas available for Iraqi citizens or nationals who have worked for the United States.