Is your case stuck in administrative process? We can help you by completing this form.

Immigration Lawyer
San Diego

Spread the love

If you were born outside the United States and do not have a green card or permanent resident status, you may be eligible to remain in the country by completing the “adjustment of status process.” To be eligible for this process, you must first satisfy certain criteria. Individuals seeking an adjustment of status are typically visa holders who are not immigrants or temporary parolees who wish to obtain lawful resident status.

Because this process falls within federal laws and statutes, it can be complicated to complete properly without help from an immigration attorney. A San Diego adjustment of status lawyer could review your circumstances and determine whether or not you are eligible to complete this process. If you are eligible, our team could assist you throughout each stage of this journey.


Eligibility to Adjust Immigration Status

For someone to adjust their immigration status, they must first meet the eligibility requirements. These include maintaining a physical presence in the United States and entering the country through the legal process. Additionally, a person’s reason for immigrating to the United States determines, in part, whether or not they are eligible to change their immigration status. Valid reasons for entering the United States include employment, family relationships, or humanitarian purposes. An attorney in San Diego could help an immigrants determine if they are eligible to adjust their status.

Steps in the Immigration Status Adjustment Process

The first step in this process is filing a petition. In the majority of status adjustment cases, a family member or employer needs to file the petition on behalf of the applicant. The most common types of immigrant petitions include:

•Employment petitions
•Family petitions
•Special classification petitions
•Humanitarian program petitions

It is important to note that before an applicant begins  the adjustment immigration status process, they must determine if there is a visa available for them. This is because only a limited number of visas are available in a given year for each type of petition. Fortunately, a San Diego adjustment of status attorney could assist with making this determination.

After determining that the appropriate visa is available, an individual could begin their application. Applicants may need to submit to fingerprinting as part of a background check and attend an interview where they must answer questions under oath.

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must notify an applicant in writing regarding approval or denial of their application. Applicants who receive a denial letter may be able to file an appeal under certain circumstances. However, not every change of status decision is appealable. The notice which the applicant receives indicates whether or not the applicant is eligible to file an appeal.

Call a San Diego Adjustment of Status Attorney Today

You should not attempt to adjust your immigration status on your own. Immigration laws, as well as the required forms and other paperwork, can be difficult to understand, and a serious mistake could cost you significant time and money. A San Diego adjustment of status lawyer from our firm could assist you with your petition and address all of your legal questions and concerns.

An experienced adjustment of status lawyer can help you by:

•Orienting you with immigration law and how it works. An immigration attorney should be able to answer your questions on topics such as gaining a lawful permanent resident status or a conditional permanent resident status and permanent residency requirements.
•Guiding you through the application process by preparing important documents like immigration forms and evidence of eligibility.
•Preparing and supporting you for the interview with the immigration officer.

Hiring an experienced immigration lawyer prevents you from entering the United States illegally and facing sanctions. If you need to adjust status, register permanent residence, or apply for a visa petition, immigrant visa, green card, or even permanent residence, our St. Louis immigration lawyers at Hacking Immigration Law, LLC can guide you through the immigration process that comes with every application.

Hire Us

Get in touch with
a HIL immigration attorney in
San Diego

Navigating the maze of U.S. immigration law can be tricky for anybody, especially if English is your second language or you have unique circumstances motivating you to move here. Fortunately, if you are unsure about any areas of immigration or the naturalization process, help through an immigration lawyer (San Diego) is available at the Hacking Immigration Law LLC.

Retaining one of our dedicated San Diego immigration lawyers could help you both with USCIS and other U.S. immigration authorities. To find out how immigration attorneys could help you with your specific case, call us today to schedule a consultation.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy 
Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What They Say About Us

Our Lawyers Have Received Over 500 Google Reviews

Sriram Devanathan

im is a great attorney who always has his human side “ON”. The clients come first to him. When approached for time sensitive issues, he was readily available and was prompt. I have had to reach out to him for myself & have recommended him to others. He always welcomed everyone and gave patient hearing. And he would not mind recommending other attorneys’ if he feels that they would better serve that particular case. Even if it means one less client for him. That sums up who Jim is. Thank you Jim!

Justin Charboneau

Jim and his team are extremely knowledgeable individuals. It is great to have someone like this on your side. I have and will continue to recommend Hacking Law Practice, LLC to anyone who needs legal advice on immigration issues.

Bouchra Aanouz

This firm was amazing helping me with my husband’s case. Jim and his team were very responsive to all my questions and concerns. i wish I had consulted them earlier as my husband’s case was stuck in Administrative Processing for over a year and a half. Two months after I gave my case to Jim, my husband was granted his visa. Would definitely recommend them and already have recommended them to my friends.

As seen in

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers

The attorneys at the Hacking Immigration Law are dedicated to helping the foreign-born people of St. Louis to live and work in the United States. This dedication is reflected in the kind and grateful words of the clients they have helped. Read what others have to say about the hard work that the Hacking Immigration Law has done to help those in St. Louis.

Does paying for premium processing on an H1B case mean I will find out sooner if our case was selected in the lottery?

Premium processing is an add-on service that USCIS offers for a variety of immigration cases, primarily in the employment-based visa categories.Premium processing costs an additional $1225 in USCIS filing fees.

What is the H-1B visa lottery and how does it work?

In 2014, USCIS received more than 172,000 H-1B visa applications on the April 1st deadline, exceeding Congress’s cap by 87,000 applications.

Can an Unmarried Son or Daughter of a Lawful Permanent Resident Keep Their F2B Visa Classification After Their Sponsoring Parent Naturalizes?

The immigration laws treat the adult, unmarried children of citizens differently than the adult, unmarried children of lawful permanent residents.

What is the "newspaper of general circulation" for PERM job postings?

The Department of Labor requires employers to advertise positions that they intend to submit a PERM application on to publish the job position in the local newspaper of general circulation.

Can I Apply for Citizenship with an Expired Green Card?

In the past, USCIS and some immigration attorneys believed that you could not become a naturalized citizen if you did not have a valid green card (LPR) card to bring with you to your naturalization interview.

Is there such a thing as expedited removal of an immigrant and, if so, what is it?

Most people believe that removal orders or “deportation” orders only happen when you go to the immigration court and see an immigration judge. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Does testing positive for HIV make someone inadmissible to the United States?

On January 4, 2010, the United States officially removed Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection from the list of “communicable diseases of public health significance” that make an individual ineligible for admission to the United States.

Are there any special visas for translators who assisted US forces in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Under United States immigration law, there are two Special Immigrant Visas available for Iraqi citizens or nationals who have worked for the United States.