Is your case stuck in administrative process? We can help you by completing this form.

Should I File a 2nd I-130 if 1st I-130 Denied

Spread the love

Should I file a second I-130 petition, if the first one was refused at the embassy.

Hi, I'm Jim Hacking, immigration lawyer practicing law throughout the United States at our offices in St. Louis, San Diego, and Washington D.C. In today's video we're going to talk about that unusual situation where an I-130 gets approved at USCIS, it's processed through the National Visa Center, it goes to the embassy and then the embassy refuses it. Sometimes they refuse it and then they sit on it and nothing happens, and it seems as if the case is dead. The question is, should you then go ahead and file a new I-130 petition? I don't believe that's the right approach. I was talking to a client today who had a lawyer do that for him. I think that all that that does is screw up the overall case and screw up the chances of the foreign national coming to the United States.

Now, it could depend on what the basis of the refusal is. Remember, and we have videos on this, that not every refusal is created equally. But if you receive what's called a 221(g) refusal, which is administrative processing, that just means that they need more evidence or they need more information, before they're going to issue the visa. The last thing you want to do at that point is file a new I-130. I believe that this client that I was talking to came into the clutches of a rather shitty lawyer, who just wanted to make an extra buck and decided to file another I-130. Of course, that lawyer screwed it all up. They filed a very thin case on the second case. The lawyer then received a request for evidence from the government, saying that they weren't satisfied that the marriage was legit. The client gave all the evidence to the lawyer and the lawyer failed to submit it. His secretary allegedly went out on maternity leave. It was never filed so now their second I-130 was denied. If you can believe that. So it's a big old mess.

Just a side note. There's a lot of bad lawyers out there, don't forget. But the overall point of this video is whether they should have filed a second I-130 [inaudible 00:02:06]. The answer is no. If you're refused on 221(g), which is just administrative processing, you shouldn't file a new one, you should just sue them. Because that'll get them moving on the old underlying case and in fact, that's what we decided to sue on. We sued under the 2018 case, the older case, the original case, that was refused. The embassy has the authority to revisit that case and to reopen it, as long as our client was regularly contacting the embassy, which he was.

In most instances, you're not going to need to file another I-130. The only reason you'd ever file a new I-130 is that the first one were revoked. Otherwise it's valid. If the State Department never sends it back to USCIS for a possible revocation, or if it is sent back and USCIS elects not to revoke the I-130, that's still valid and you can get action on that later. I would not file a second I-130 if the first one is refused, in most situations.

If you have questions about this, give us a call at 314-961-8200. You can email us at [email protected]. Be sure to join us in our Facebook group, which is called Immigrant Home. If you liked this video we ask that you please share it out on social, and that you subscribe to our YouTube channel so that you get updates whenever we make videos, just like this one. Thanks a lot and have a great day.


You May Also Like

How Do You Sponsor An Immigrant: A Step-By-Step Guide Spread the love Image Source: USCIS Immigration sponsorship is a vital and often complex process that plays a pivotal role in foreign nationals aiming to live or work in... VIEW POST
Everything You Need to Know About H1B Premium Processing Fee Spread the love The H1B visa is a nonimmigrant visa allowing American employers to hire foreign workers in special positions for a certain period. Specialty occupations usually need a... VIEW POST
Form I-90 Filing Fee Breakdown: Renewing or Replacing Your Green Card Spread the love If you’re a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States, you’re given a green card, also known as a permanent resident card. This legal document... VIEW POST

Download Free Guide 
2024 Immigrant’s Guide to 
Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know to become  
a U.S. citizen.

Download Free Guide 2022 Immigrant’s Guide to Becoming a U.S. Citizen

This guide contains all you need to know
to become a U.S. citizen.

Answers Show
Live every week.