Is your case stuck in administrative process for years? We can help you by completing this form

Immigration Lawyer
Washington DC

Immigration Lawyer of Washington DC

Spread the love

No matter what your reason for arriving at a port in the US, you will likely need a visa before you can enter lawfully. This is especially true if you intend to live and work here on a permanent basis.

Applying for a visa in Washington, DC can be a complex process under any circumstances, which is why seeking guidance from a legal professional can be so critical to increasing the chances of a positive outcome. A knowledgeable visa attorney who has helped people like you before could work diligently on your behalf to ensure compliance with all U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations and get you the authorization you need to start a life in the US.

What is the Visa Application Process?

With a few exceptions, prospective recipients of visas generally must have a party sponsoring their immigration to start the visa application process. This involves the sponsor filing either Form I-130 or Form I-140, depending on whether they are a family member or future employer of the applicant. Immigrants who do not need a sponsor to start this process include individuals who are seeking asylum and those in the first priority category for employment-based visas.

Once USCIS approves this initial petition, the agency will forward it to the National Visa Center (NVC). At this point, either the sponsor or the applicant will need to pay processing fees. Then the sponsor must submit Form I-864 and any associated financial documents to affirm their willingness to act as the applicant’s sponsor. Following this, the applicant must file Form DS-260 online using the case number provided to them by the NVC and submit civil documents for themselves and any family members they want to bring with them.

Finally, the NVC will schedule a visa interview at either a USCIS field office or the closest U.S. Consulate or Embassy, depending on whether the applicant is inside or outside U.S. borders at the time. Attending this interview is the last step to applying for a visa in Washington, DC. After the interview, the involved parties just have to wait for USCIS to make a final decision.

Do Short-Term Visitors Need to Apply for a Visa?

Citizens and nationals of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program do not need visas to enter the United States for business or tourism for a period of less than 90 days. Anyone else who wishes to visit the U.S. on a short-term basis, including students studying abroad, must apply for and receive a nonimmigrant visa prior to arriving at a port of entry.

Nonimmigrant visa applicants must file Form DS-160 online, and there are usually no legal restrictions on them applying for a visa by themselves without the need for a third-party sponsor. However, applying for this type of visa in Washington, DC can still be challenging, so working with a seasoned legal professional is an important part of this process.

Seek Help from a Washington, DC Attorney When Applying for a Visa

The application process for any type of U.S. visa requires a thorough understanding of immigration law as well as a great deal of patience. Because of this, seeking professional help with this process is wise for anyone seeking a visa, whether they want to stay in the U.S. for a long time or just visit for a short period.

Our attorneys could walk you through every step you must take to get the result you want. Call today to learn how an immigration attorney from Hacking Immigration Law, LLC could help you with applying for a visa in Washington, DC.

Get in touch with
a HIL immigration attorney in
Washington DC

Navigating the maze of U.S. immigration law can be tricky for anybody, especially if English is your second language or you have unique circumstances motivating you to move here. Fortunately, if you are unsure about any areas of immigration or the naturalization process, help through an immigration lawyer (Washington DC) is available at the Hacking Immigration Law LLC.

Retaining one of our dedicated Washington DC immigration lawyers could help you both with USCIS and other U.S. immigration authorities. To find out how immigration attorneys could help you with your specific case, call us today to schedule a consultation.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy 
Policy and Terms of Service apply.

What They Say About Us

Our Lawyers Have Received Over 500 Google Reviews

Sriram Devanathan

im is a great attorney who always has his human side “ON”. The clients come first to him. When approached for time sensitive issues, he was readily available and was prompt. I have had to reach out to him for myself & have recommended him to others. He always welcomed everyone and gave patient hearing. And he would not mind recommending other attorneys’ if he feels that they would better serve that particular case. Even if it means one less client for him. That sums up who Jim is. Thank you Jim!

Justin Charboneau

Jim and his team are extremely knowledgeable individuals. It is great to have someone like this on your side. I have and will continue to recommend Hacking Law Practice, LLC to anyone who needs legal advice on immigration issues.

Bouchra Aanouz

This firm was amazing helping me with my husband’s case. Jim and his team were very responsive to all my questions and concerns. i wish I had consulted them earlier as my husband’s case was stuck in Administrative Processing for over a year and a half. Two months after I gave my case to Jim, my husband was granted his visa. Would definitely recommend them and already have recommended them to my friends.

As seen in

Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers

The attorneys at the Hacking Immigration Law are dedicated to helping the foreign-born people of St. Louis to live and work in the United States. This dedication is reflected in the kind and grateful words of the clients they have helped. Read what others have to say about the hard work that the Hacking Immigration Law has done to help those in St. Louis.

Does paying for premium processing on an H1B case mean I will find out sooner if our case was selected in the lottery?

Premium processing is an add-on service that USCIS offers for a variety of immigration cases, primarily in the employment-based visa categories.Premium processing costs an additional $1225 in USCIS filing fees.

What is the H-1B visa lottery and how does it work?

In 2014, USCIS received more than 172,000 H-1B visa applications on the April 1st deadline, exceeding Congress’s cap by 87,000 applications.

Can an Unmarried Son or Daughter of a Lawful Permanent Resident Keep Their F2B Visa Classification After Their Sponsoring Parent Naturalizes?

The immigration laws treat the adult, unmarried children of citizens differently than the adult, unmarried children of lawful permanent residents.

What is the "newspaper of general circulation" for PERM job postings?

The Department of Labor requires employers to advertise positions that they intend to submit a PERM application on to publish the job position in the local newspaper of general circulation.

Can I Apply for Citizenship if I Lost My Green Card or It Expired?

In the past, USCIS and some immigration attorneys believed that you could not become a naturalized citizen if you did not have a valid green card (LPR) card to bring with you to your naturalization interview.

Is there such a thing as expedited removal of an immigrant and, if so, what is it?

Most people believe that removal orders or “deportation” orders only happen when you go to the immigration court and see an immigration judge. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Does testing positive for HIV make someone inadmissible to the United States?

On January 4, 2010, the United States officially removed Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection from the list of “communicable diseases of public health significance” that make an individual ineligible for admission to the United States.

Are there any special visas for translators who assisted US forces in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Under United States immigration law, there are two Special Immigrant Visas available for Iraqi citizens or nationals who have worked for the United States.