Foreign nationals who want to enter the United States legally must obtain a visa in order to do so. However, not every type of visa allows a temporary visitor to acquire income while they are here. To legally work for a predetermined period of time as a non-U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, you will first need to apply for and receive a temporary employment visa.

There are many different categories of temporary employment visas in San Diego that could allow someone to work as a foreign national, each of which is meant for a different type of immigrant or employment. A seasoned visa attorney could offer guidance and knowledge about what type of visa you may need and how you can maximize your chances of successfully applying for one.

Visa Categories That Allow for Temporary Work Assignments

Most people who want to get temporary employment visas in San Diego apply for one of the varieties of H visas, which are generally meant for foreign nationals coming to the United States to work for a specified period of time or on a contract basis. Some of the most commonly sought-after H visas include:

  • H-1B, for “specialty occupations” that requires a university degree or equivalent level of training
  • H-2A, for seasonal or temporary agricultural work
  • H-2B, for seasonal or temporary non-agricultural work
  • H-3, for occupational training other than graduate academic or medical training

Numerous other categories of nonimmigrant worker visas are meant for more specialized purposes. For example, P visas are reserved for athletes, artists, and entertainers coming to the U.S. for a performance or competition, while L visas are for management or executive-level employees of a multinational company who want to transfer to a U.S. branch of that company. A qualified attorney could work with an individual applicant to determine what specific visa category they should apply under to serve their unique needs and interests.

The Application Process for Temporary Employment

While each different visa category comes with different application requirements, there are some broad similarities across the board. Virtually every temporary employment visa applicant who wishes to work or perform in San Diego needs to fill out Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, and submit it to USCIS with a current photo. Most individuals seeking employment on a temporary basis also need to have a sponsoring employer fill out and submit Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker on their behalf prior to applying for a visa themselves.

Additionally, unless an applicant is under 13 or over 80 years old, they may be required to attend an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country from which they intend to travel. A qualified immigration lawyer could provide counsel about any further application requirements for a particular visa category as needed.

A San Diego Could Help Pursue a Temporary Employment Visa

Whether you intend to work in the U.S. for a preset contract, transfer to an American branch of the company you already work for, perform in a specific show or competition, or undertake any other form of work here, you will need a temporary employment visa. However, pursuing and obtaining temporary employment visas in San Diego can often be difficult to accomplish, especially if you try to do so without professional legal help.

Assistance from an experienced immigration attorney could be key to streamlining your visa application process and minimizing the risk of a problem impacting your work plans. To schedule a consultation about your unique circumstances, call today.